Remember meForgot password?
    Log in with Twitter

article imageNew Clues Surface in Amelia Earhart Disappearance

By Lisa Angotti     Mar 31, 2007 in World
Could continuous clues over 70 years really be a plea from the grave?
The aviator that would have been the first woman to fly around the world has been missing for 70 years. But clues have kept the case alive, and a now a new piece of evidence has appeared on Ebay.
Seventy years after Amerlia Earhart's twin-engine disappeared during a difficult leg of her worldwide tour, clues are still surfacing in the mysterious case.
Just last fall, Arthur Rypinksi was browsing the ads on Ebay for Earhart items as he often did, when he saw something that caught his eye. The listing was for an "Amerlia Earhart Original Flight Plan." Curious, he ponied up $26, and what he received was an unbelievable clue in the Earhart case.
The "flight plan" was none other than a copy of the diary of a 23-year-old reporter hired by Associated Press to cover the historic flight. The reporter, James Carey, was present in the radio room of the Coast guard boat that was monitoring the flight to help Earhart find her way to Howland Island. The diary, it appeared, had once been owned by the US Army Military Institute in Carlisle, Pennsylvania. Carey had been a naval officer during World War II, which explains how it ended up with the military. But the Ebay seller found the diary at a Goodwill Store.
"We have long had the transcripts of the radio traffic, but this is the first document that puts a real person aboard Itasca and tells us something from a firsthand witness about what went on during those desperate hours and days."
The case, which was never declared close, is being revisited to test DNA of the human remains discovered in 1940 that were dismissed as coming from a male, unrelated to the Earhart case.
If what's revealed in the diary was given to researchers back then, would Earhart have been found alive?
Earhart was involved in a much-publicized "World Flight" in 1937 which began in Oakland, California. She was on her way to becoming the first female to fly around the world. Just 44 days into her trip, her plane virtually vanished during a 2,550-mile trek from Lae, New Guinea to Howland Island where they were to refuel.
This leg of the flight, the toughest of her trip, may have been doomed from the start, as her plane's radio antenna had been ripped away during takeoff from New Guinea. Earhart, who gave brief updates during the flight, was unaware there was a problem, and she was unable to hear the Coast Guard boat that would help lead her to Howland Island. The Coast Guard didn't know that there was a problem either, and her flight eventually became lost.
What happened after that is anyone's guess. Theories range from Earhart being lost at sea to becoming stranded on an Island and living as a castaway. At least two teenagers claim they heard Earhart's eerie pleas for help over a short wave radio One 15-year-old girl, 84 years old now, swears that she was the last to hear Earhart alive. "I know I'm right," she has said.
Take a look at the Source Artcle linked below. The excerpts from the diary and the whole story is quite fascinating! More than 50 nonfiction books have explored theories of what happened to Earhart.
More about Earhart, Amelia, Mystery
Latest News
Top News